Pages

Friday, January 16, 2015

Thrift.

My camera batteries are charging. I won't leave you with words only for long.

I wanted to talk about thrift a bit today. Thrift to me is a beautiful thing. I am drawn to cozy homes with less, folks wearing warn warm sweaters and clothing, simple meals. My favorite blogs.. those ones that inspire me the most, are not "showy". Those places that inspire me the most.. are the simple beautiful family blogs... the ones where homemade bread and messy haired little ones make their debut.

Most know that if I had a trust fund, that I would be living in a tiny cabin on the river. Trust fund or not.. that day may still come!

Beauty for me is worn, homey.. tells a story.. shows alot of love.

Lately society has pulled at me.. tugged at me really, to change my mind. To buy more! So its really good to step back and take a reality check from time to time. Do I really need a rug and curtains in that room?...Or does this simple farmhouse trim and gleaming pine floors lend a beauty all of their own.

This winter we find ourselves with a few too many winter coats hanging in our front closet. They might be modest to many..but to me I see excess. The holiday season came with copious amounts of gifts from all directions. I feel this late January shift inside me.. and it really is a yearly thing, to sling open the window and start throwing things out!! I won't of course... and I feel incredibly blessed for all that we have been given. But is anyone else with me?

So today I am spending time sorting hard. When I say we are sorting hard.. my girls know that hard equals thoughtfully. That we are not just sorting through the things that are worn or broken. But we are sorting with intention to lighten our load and bless others.

And as for the topic of thrift... no matter your income..thrift is a beautiful thing.
I am reigning in our food expenses and creating monthly plans once again... we are on a clothing freeze...I think for the entire year! We are quilting and making new pillows and fresh blankets for our beds with all the piles of scraps we have. I would also like to make some patchwork skirts and jumpers for my girls... The pantry is getting organized and staples rotated, and with fishing season upon us (yes in the ADKs winter is fishing for us.. summer is far too busy on this little farm!)
..I am emptying the freezer and getting organized for the crazy stacks of fish that will feed us for the year.

Keep on inspiring me simple living Mamas... So onward! Work is waiting to be done!

Love, Miss

ps. we have been listening to Shakey for about a year now.. we love to dance around the house to him.. and of course I love singing harmonies..so for your enjoyment ...head over and check him out!



1 comment:

  1. Yes! I understand the society pull! I have been there recently too. The desire to do something for me. Maybe an outside job. It's no coincidence i found your blog.
    The Lord has pulled me back. I too am "sorting hard". I'm right where you are sister! Thank you for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete