Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

intentional slowdown.

We choose the path we take every single day. We choose to put one foot in front of the other, we choose to raise our voices, we choose to be frustrated, dissatisfied, jealous, hate filled, slanderous towards others. We choose selfishness instead of setting others first. We make a choice what we put in front of our eyes, what we hear with our ears, what we say in our homes. We cannot see that each choice we make directs our path. It can be for the good, or unfortunately it can be a path toward destruction of our home.
Mothers, we do not realize the truth in the words if "Mama ain't happy nobody happy". We set the mood and we can choose to make it or break it. It has to be a daily decision. An intentional process. Mothers, we have to heed the words of those who have come before us. We can be the change we wish to see in the world and I firmly believe that change begins in the home. Choose to use soft words with your children, gentle voices. Set a calming mood. Choose selfishness in your mothering, not just in the basic necessities of clothing our children, making their bellies full etc. But in those times that are hardest. This idea is floating around that when 7 oclock sets in, that it is Moms time and we have checked out per se as Mothers. We need to recognize that mothering is a 24 hour position. We do not check out when the children are tucked into bed. I am going to try and write a bit on mothering as the days eb by and some things that I have found to work in my home. Intentionally slowing down the pace of childhood. Choosing peace and calm. Choosing gentleness and teaching my girls the benefit of a quiet spirit and a humble heart.
I recognize it can be overwhelming to start. Especially if you are a Mom sitting in the midst of piles of dirty clothes, toys, general craziness and screaming children in every direction. My wish is that I can somehow show that change is possible. Your home can become a haven, a refuge from the storms of this life.
I want to teach on nutrition, home organization, natural parenting, the benefits of the arts and children, and so much more that lays on my heart. I have had my own struggles as a Mother and a wife and I have chosen my path. It is a path I chose every single day. One foot forward. Your calm does not need to come when your children are finally asleep. You can find rest and joys in your days of mothering that are quickly passing. I have hope in you!
I will leave you with some images of my girls today around the counter kneading dough. Something so very simple, that brings them much joy. I have Elizabeth Mitchell playing softly in the background. The girls are humming to the gentle tunes and squishing little fingers through warm dough. I use this as my time to scrub down my sink and counters and fridge. Try it out. Step one for a peacefilled home begins with your heart. But step two begins in the kitchen. Clean that kitchen Mamas! (The recipe for dough is found below, makes about 1 pound. If you are choosing to rid your home of petroleum based dyes as we are striving to do, you may color your dough with beet juice for a soft pinky color).


Soft Play Dough Recipe:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup sea salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 tablespoon veg. oil (we had canola on hand)

 All of these items are placed into a pan on the stove top. Add color if you wish. We make this recipe multiple times for different colors. It is so very quick and gives so much happiness to little ones, and Mama time to do a bit of her work or you can join in as well! Kids love watching as you stir over medium heat and the dough slowly gets thicker and forms til it is just right for kneading. Plop the dough onto a kneadable surface and let cool for just a bit till it is ready for little hands to do the kneading. You can always add a bit of flour to the surface if it is a bit sticky. (maybe cook it longer next time round) Hand out rolling pins, cookie cutters etc and let the kiddos play! You can put in an airtight glass container and stick in the fridge for future use. My sweet Grandmother always had atleast one color on hand for our use!

Blessings,
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment